Monday, October 4, 2010

One down... not sure how many left to go

Today was my first injection day. I'd say it went smoothly, but not without it's bumps. I worked all day and of course took the time to think of how awful it will actually be to stick myself with a needle. Great. I was nervous all day. Then, I had a work dinner. Yes. Where you sit around with people you work with and usually only talk about work to... TRY and think of fun things to say... All the while, I was worrying about the needles waiting for me at my house. Du Du dun...

So I go home, slip into something a little more comfortable to give myself a shot in. I don't think there is such a thing. But I went for sweat pants and a loose cotton T. It just felt right. I went and retrieved my box of meds from our refrigerator where they take up a whole shelf and serve to remind me we're buying meds instead of food because we can't buy both. So... there is meds and meds alone in that fridge. Just kidding. But seriously.

I put my box out on the table and start unpacking all the junk to get it together. First, find the needles and put them as far from myself as possible. Next, get the meds out of their container. Then, panic a little and finally regain control. Fourth, I iced my tummy. Sean said to numb it by putting ice on one spot for a long time. That surely will take away any sting. It however did not numb the mental process and emotional effect that this would have. SO continue icing my tummy.... Just in shock still of what I'm about to do. Then clean the area. Here goes nothing. Mixing the injections and then sticking myself. At first I didn't push hard enough to break the skin... And i forgot to pinch that area of skin like they told me. Holy crap. The needle is entering my stomach. Holy crap. it's in. QUICK PANIC... now what?? o yeah... put the crap in my belly... that was the worst part. Squeezing it right into myself didn't feel real good. And there is a little hard spot on my tummy where I did it. But I did it. Yes. GREAT GREAT!

That's right before I passed out then woke up making a mad dash for the bathroom so I could throw up my $30 work dinner in my toilet. All the while my husband and my puppy were both hovering over me. Quickly I kicked them out and regurgitated the rest of my food in peace. Now my teeth are brushed and my face is washed and i have a cute little baby band aid on my belly. I can't believe I did that!!!! Me, Lauren Stewart, who has been terrified of needles my whole life, just stuck a needle into my tummy ALL BY MYSELF! And I feel great. It was scary and made my body really mad but I did it. Baby BABY here we come!!!

3 comments:

Jessica Shae Berejkoff said...

that is quite an accomplishment! I would never ever be able to stick myself with a needle. I still can't look when I get shots at the doctors office!

Nick and Dani said...

Awesome, Lauren!!! Good Job! :D Was little Rush so scared for you? I bet he and Sean were so proud of you!

Liz Morrill said...

you should really think about becoming an author! my stomach hurts (you know in the same spot you gave yourself the shot) from just reading about it! you have a way with words!!
good luck! hope the next one is easier!!

Popular Posts