
Grandma Shirley Mae Swank, may have only been about 4'9 and 65 pounds soaking wet but she packed a punch of someone much larger then her size. In the last month I have lost two of my grandparents and with that, memories that won't be made with mine and Sean's children. Of course they are happier and without pain now but when I think of them meeting my children for the first time, or even my husband who they never had the chance to meet it brings tears that sing to my eyes.
I have wonderful memories of my grandparents and I'd like to write a few down so that someday my kids can read about them. I'll got from recent to past.
A few months ago when we found out we were pregnant I was able to call my grandma (after calling her a few months before to share our fertility struggles with her) and to tell her we were having a baby. Of course she was getting close to the end and was really tired and this is how the conversation went
"Grandma? It's me Lauren." i said loudly into the phone pronouncing my name carefully
"O Hi Lauren. Glad you called. How are you sweetheart?" A thick accented reply came from my tiny grandma.
"Grandma I have some great news! We're finally pregnant! And we're going to have a baby. I want you to know we are planning on naming our children after you and grandpa Jay. We think that's really important and I wanted you to know that and tell you how much i love you." i tell her
"........................................................." Silence for a minute or so....
"O sweetheart, thank you so much. I'm so excited for you and I'm honored you would think about us to use our names. Well, I've got to go spread the word! I love you! bye!" she said.
"bye, I love you grandma." I tell her quickly.
"love you sweetheart, bye" she said and hung right up. This was actually the last time I spoke with her on the phone before she passed. Short but she knew I loved her. You could tell she was tired and needed to get off the phone but you couldn't miss the calm layer, over the soft grandma, trying not to cry in her voice.
My next memory I want to share is when I was about 15 years old. I had gone out to Georgia to see my Aunt and Uncle and their kids and my Grandma as well who was living with them. She was younger at this point and not as frail, but I really only remember her as tiny and breakable.( and her size 2 and a half NARROW shoe size) One day while I was out there she wanted to take me shopping and so we got all ready and went outside to get in the car and go. Well.. one tiny problem. My aunt and uncle lived on a steep hill and their driveway called for an E-Break on at all times when not driving. Grandma couldn't get the break down. We got in and got ready to go, I had no idea why we were still in the driveway about 5 minutes later. Finally grandma says "Sweetheart, can you please put the break down? I can't get it." I look at her, use my left had which was closest and put it down then off we go. She just smiles and said thanks. And we headed off... HAAAAAAAA I won't ever forget this.
The next one was on the same trip actually. I was upstairs and the phone rang. I grabbed it and they asked for my grandma. So.... I ran downstairs to find her and give her the phone. She was in the bathroom brushing her teeth.. Well her teeth were in her hand and she was brushing her gums... And she couldn't talk. I didn't know what to say... so I just tell her the phone is for her. This is her response "ust inute," I think she was saying just a minute???? I was startled. I'd never seen her with her teeth out before. OF course I had seen them on the counter in their jar when she went to bed... But I'd never seen her try and talk without them. That also I will never forget...
Those are just three of my favorite memories of my grandma. I love that women. And My grandpa as well. I didn't know him that well and really can't even remember how many times I saw him in my life. But I knew he loved me. And more importantly I knew he loved my mom and that my mom loved him. My child will grow up without ever meeting his great grandparents on my mom's side and while that hurts me, I know they were both very ready to go. My Grandma Shirley to meet her love Jay who died when I was in 6th grade and my Grandpa Bill who couldn't stand to be here without Shirley, the mother of his children.
And of all the things i love my grandparents for, I love them for my mom the most. If you have ever met her you know she is the best and strongest person you've ever met. You walk away feeling priviledged to have met her. She grew up in a home much different than the one I knew. She paved out a life for herself and her family. She's as strong willed as they come (that's where I get it..) and she gets that from her mommy. My mom's will to do what is right and stand on the ground she chooses comes from her parents. Her zeal and love of life and people is often described as "genetic". and it is... It's been passed down three generations already. I'm sure my children will have these traits. The traits of their Great Grandma Swank...
3 comments:
thank you so much for that sweet note for Grandma Swank. She would have loved it. They say dynomite comes in small packages, well Grandma was nitro!!
Oh just so you know, that is from me your mom, I couldn't get myself signed in so Blaire graciously did it for me....only with the littlest amount of grumbling.
Wow, that was so sweet! I cried, because of your love for your mom and this reminded me of my love for my grandpas who both passed away before Nick could meet them. This is the sweetest post!
Post a Comment